We talk to historian Kathleen Frydl about Donald Trump and American fascism, and with ACLU staff attorney Chase Strangio about the insanely bigoted anti-trans bill in North Carolina, #HB2. Kade tells Jonathan Chait to take a break from punching the left to Quit his Job. And Alexis tells Ted Cruz “Bitch, Please!” for naming Phil Gramm (a major architect of the 2008 financial crisis) as an economic advisor.
Further Reading / Mentioned on the Show:
- Kathleen Frydl: Sorry Folks: It’s Fascism and Election 2016 Results: The Increasingly Irrelevant Corporate News Media and Donald Trump and the Know Nothings
- Chase Strangio: Don’t Forget, Trans People Are Loved
- Chase’s ACLU page where folks can find updates on Chelsea’s case and HB2 litigation
- “Who Should I Vote For?” diagram
- Frank Luntz freaking out in the Washington Post over socialism’s sex appeal
- Ted Cruz’s economic advisor Phil Gramm on “the one form of bigotry that is still allowed in this country, is bigotry against the successful.”
Kade also discussed the play Mariposa & the Saint. Through letters with longtime friend and current collaborator, Julia Steele Allen, Mariposa brings her experience in solitary confinement to the stage.
How to Help
Here are organizations that Chase mentioned are doing work in North Carolina that folks can donate to or support in other ways:
- SONG – http://southernersonnewground.org/
- Queer People of Color Collective
- Equality North Carolina – http://equalitync.org/
- ACLU of North Carolina – http://www.acluofnorthcarolina.org/
- National Center for Trans Equality also has a North Carolina action center: http://www.transequality.org/ncaction
- To donate to Chelsea Manning: https://www.chelseamanning.org/
Credit Where Due
The theme for this show is the song “Missing You” by Jahzzar, also know as Javier Suarez. You can find his work at betterwithmusic.com. Theme music for BITCH PLEASE is “Hachiko (The Faithful Dog)” a song by The Kyoto Connection.And the theme for QUIT YOUR JOB is “Fortitude” by J.O. Finally, you should know that the font for our logo is by the graphic designer Marisa Passos.
Header image credit: Modified based on an image by souljourney74 (CC BY-NC-ND 2.0)