December 4, 2016 - Alexis Goldstein
Trump’s Cabinet of Horrors, Boston Spying, and the Electoral College (E16)
Humorless Queers tackle the horror show that is Trump’s choices for the cabinet, including Jeff Sessions for the Department of Justice, Steven Mnuchin for Treasury Secretary, and Betsy Devos for the Department of Education. We also discuss the Boston police department’s plan to spend $1.4m on social media spying software. And finally, we’ll have an interview with the co-founder of DemocrEC.org, who are demanding that Republican members of the Electoral College honor the popular vote.
CITED ON THE SHOW:
- Cabinet of Horribles:
- Jeff Sessions (DOJ)
- Steven Mnuchin (Treasury)
- Find out how your Representative voted on the dangerous bill H.R. 6392, which would let Mnuchin pick and choose which banks have to follow the rules.
- Betsy DeVos (Education)
- 12/5/2016 hearing on the Boston police department’s plan to spend $1.4m on social media spying software.
- Learn more @ PrivacySOS
- Attend the hearing itself, Boston City Hall on Monday, December 5 at 1:30 PM.
- Call 617-635-4500 to contact Boston Mayor Matty Walsh’s office, and tell them there’s a much better use of $1.4 million than to spy on Bostonians.
- Fill out our listener survey!
- Moxie Marlinspike: Why ‘I Have Nothing to Hide’ Is the Wrong Way to Think About Surveillance
HUMORLESS QUEERS READING CIRCLE:
- Devil in the Grove: Thurgood Marshall, the Groveland Boys, and the Dawn of a New America
- Taylor Branch: Parting the Waters. America in the King Era, 1954-1963
Credit where due:
The theme for this show is the song “Missing You” by Jahzzar, also know as Javier Suarez. You can find his work at betterwithmusic.com.