Support independent, queer media! Become a subscriber on Patreon for bonus content and to support the show.
Existing health and economic disparities are crushing. The virus is making things a million times worse.
Who has to work right now? Who can work from home? Who has lost their jobs? Massive overlap between people of color and service workers. Massive overlap in NYC between neighborhoods with lots of people of color, COVID-19 infected people, and people who work in the service industry.
We start off with the EARN IT Act, legislation that would give the government a backdoor to kill encryption. We also discuss how Congress picked winners and losers in their student debt relief in the third coronavirus package. And we put out a call to action to free people from cages during the pandemic. And Alexis discusses Trump manipulating the stock market with lies about oil production cut “deals” between Russia and Saudi Arabia that…didn’t exist.
MENTIONED ON THE SHOW
Organizations nationwide are pushing to free people from ICE and criminal detention. Here are ways you can take action in New York, Illinois, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Washington DC, collated by abolitionist leader Mariame Kaba:
- Take action in Washington DC — call script & social media kit at bit.ly/freedcnow
- Take action in New York at http://freethemall4publichealth.org ; https://twitter.com/RAPPcampaign/status/1245715054420471809?s=20;
- Illinois https://twitter.com/endmoneybond/status/1245754631726059520?s=20 and https://t.co/GYQcDrxurM?amp=1
- Pennsylvania: https://twitter.com/AmistadLaw/status/1245328246364868608/photo/1
- Detention Watch’s call for action on immigration detention: https://twitter.com/DetentionWatch/status/1245697633865383936/photo/3
- Virginia: https://twitter.com/LaColectiVA703/status/1245712537515167744/photo/1
- Nationwide action to Free Them All: https://twitter.com/ElizaApologist/status/1245729136854867969/photo/1
- Ohio: https://twitter.com/freethemall614/status/1245455162099064832/photo/1
Andrew Cuomo Exploits Coronavirus Panic to Push Bail Reform Rollback in New York, The Intercept, Nick Pinto