Trump got caught, and he confessed. We discuss the latest in the impeachment inquiry: texts from diplomats Sondland and Taylor, what happens if the subpoenas keep being defied, and what we think the Republicans’ calculus is, and what we’ll be watching to evaluate where they’re at. We also review a host of horrifying new anti-immigrant policies that you may have missed while impeachment was going on, and a handful of recent victories against them, include a great campaign by Mijente against tech giant and ICE collaborator Palantir.
We reflect on the day Speaker Pelosi announced the House would formally open an impeachment investigation.
MENTIONED ON THE SHOW
- Timeline: Trump, Giuliani, Biden, and Ukrainegate (Just Security)
- The Impeachment Process, Explained (NYT)
PUT IT ON YOUR PLAYLIST
- Impeach the President – The Honey Drippers (1972)
- Impeach the President – The Sun Fire Soul Ensemble (2019)
Betsy DeVos just keeps getting sued! We talk to Eileen Connor from the Project on Predatory Student Lending at Harvard Law about just ONE of their lawsuits against Education Secretary Betsy DeVos. We will also talk about the very strange and Kafkaesque story of how Boston law enforcement officials used a warrantless surveillance order to try to unmask a government critic, and then pressed to keep that order COMPLETELY SECRET for more than five years. The ACLU of Massachusetts recently sued to crack the secrecy around the case.
And we also have some special BONUS content for Patreon-ers! Kade discusses learning to love Crossfit (again). If you want access to this bonus audio, you can nab it on Patreon for as little as $1 a month. You’ll help us keep the show going!
MENTIONED ON THE SHOW
- ACLU Sues over secret, warrantless surveillance documents related to Occupy Boston
- TheProject on Predatory Student Lending
- 18 States Sue DeVos Over Student Loan Protections (NYTimes)
- Court Orders Education Department to End Delay in Ruling on Loan Discharge
If you want to support the show, you can become a formal subscriber on our Patreon page for as little as $1 a month. You’ll get access to bonus content each month, and you’ll help us keep the show going!
On the eve of the first round of confirmation hearings on Trump’s crony cabinet, we’re going to talk about how few of the members of this billionaire cabinet have submitted their required financial disclosure forms. I thought billionaires were proud of their riches! What are they hiding? We’re also going to take a close look at Mike Pompeo, Trump’s nomination to lead the CIA. Finally, we’re also going to talk about how confused we are by some of Trump’s choices for the cabinet, and there inherent contradictions.
MENTIONED ON THE SHOW:
- Email your Senators to demand they reject Mike Pompeo for the CIA.
- Call the Capitol Switchboard, (202) 224-3121, and ask for your Senators, and tell them: I am a constituent, and I’m calling to tell you how concerned I am that Mike Pompeo is being considered to head the CIA. Pompeo has repeatedly touted anti-Muslim rhetoric and . He opposes the Iran Deal, which was struck to prevent Iran from developing a nuclear weapon, and meant to stop a war. I’m asking you to reject Mike Pompeo as CIA Director.
- Medicare for All Jan 20th day of Action!
WHAT IS THE CRONY CABINET HIDING?
We are still, as of this podcast’s release, awaiting financial disclosures from Betsy DeVos (for the Dept of ED), Ben Carson (for HUD), Gen. John Kelly, Elaine Chao (for Transportation), Wilbur Ross (for Commerce)
THE RICHEST CABINET EVER:
Filled forms with Office of Government Ethics (you can see ALL the forms from cabinet nominees past and present here):
- Rex Tillerson: financial disclosure form (filed Jan 3, 2017)
- Rex Tillerson: ethics agreement
- Mike Pompeo: financial disclosure form
- Mike Pompeo: ethics agreement
- Jeff Sessions’ financial disclosure form (filed Dec 23, 2016)
- Jeff Sessions’ ethics agreement
- Scott Pruit (for EPA) financial disclosure form (filed Jan 4, 2017)
- Scott Pruit ethics agreement