The news lately is full of the warning signs of surveillance capitalism. We discuss Cambridge Analytica’s use of the private data of friends and family of people who took a personality quiz. We note the CEO’s approach of finding the “emotional center” of voters. We also discuss why you should delete Facebook, Uber’s self-driving car killing a pedestrian in Arizona, and Cynthia Nixon challenging Andrew Cuomo for Governor of New York (and bringing lefty politics to the crazy corporate Human Rights Campaign gala!)
We talk about some of the amazing wins from the November election, and have a nice, big celebration. Then, we talk about the Trump tax scam, all the ways it screws the not-rich, and how you can fight back. (We call it the “Cut cut cut Americans Act”)
And in episode 40.5 (which you can get if you become a Patreon subscriber), Alexis talks about her newest adventures in boxing.
We discuss Trump sabotage, from the Affordable Care Act to the Iran deal. We also talk what Kade’s been up to in Boston city elections.
The BCRA, Straight Repeal, and Skinny Repeal versions of Trumpcare ALL FACE PALMED Thursday night/Friday morning. We’re gonna recap reactions from us and from listeners, as well as talking about what’s next.
And it seems like just last week that we were making fun of Anthony Scaramucci because…it was just last week! And now he’s fired. So we’ll do a little dance on the grave of his short-lived Comms Director career.
MENTIONED ON THE SHOW
- Give money to ADAPT’s legal fund! ADAPT led the fight against Trumpcare & to save Medicaid. Alexis pitched in $200 — can you donate and help us raise another $200?
- Have a laugh at the replies to Sam Stein’s Scaramucci tweet.
NOTES FROM LISTENERS
- Thanks to Melissa, @kawaiikadri on Twitter, for describing where you were when Trumpcare failed;
- Thanks also to @jenesaiswha, who writes on Medium at https://medium.com/@margotmachado, and has this great Trumpcare is dead song here:
Image via Max Talbot-Minkin (CC BY 2.0)
If you want to support the show, you can do so on Patreon for as little as $1 a month. You’ll get access to bonus content each month and help us keep the show going!
You may be familiar with the many times the ACLU has sued the president, but today we’re going to cover two lawsuits against the Trump Administration you may NOT have heard of. We interview Glenda Aldana Madrid, Staff Attorney at the the Northwest Immigrant Rights Project about their lawsuit against Jeff Sessions. We also discuss a couple of lawsuits against Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, and some awesome Listener Mail about the UK election.
MENTIONED ON THE SHOW:
The Mass. Attorney General on DeVos’s latest move: “I’m going to sue them.”
The Trump Administration isn’t good at much, but one thing they ARE good at is ripping up important rules from the Obama Administration. We talk with Erin Gloria Ryan (@MorningGloria) about a leaked draft of a new rule that would eliminate Obamacare’s contraceptive mandate. We also talk about Ivanka Trump’s nonsense and how she wants to have her champagne popsicle and eat it, too, about Jared Kusher’s “resting treason face,” and Donald Trump Jr’s obsession with conspiracy theories.
MENTIONED ON THE SHOW
- Any Boss Can Cut Off Birth Control Coverage Under Trumpcare by Erin Gloria Ryan. (Money quote: “Nobody could have predicted that Trump would turn to his daughter, a glorified shoe saleswoman and aspirant lifestyle brand maven, to advise him on issues facing women and girls.”)
- Don Trump Jr. Is a Sucker for a Good Conspiracy Theory—Or Any Theory, Really also by Erin Gloria Ryan
We rage about the Trump budget bill, which is coming to fuck up every American that isn’t a millionaire or billionaire. But these are all just policy choices, and the GOP is deciding to raid the poor to pay the rich. For an alternative vision, we look at the Congressional Progressive Caucus’s People’s Budget.
- Alexis’s rage storm about the Trump Budget.
- Cuts SNAP by $193 billion over ten years; that’s 25% of the program. Then, it shifts the burden of paying for part of SNAP over to the states, who cannot handle that burden.
- There is a $2 trillion error in the budget
The AHCA already cut medicaid by $839 billion over ten years. The Trump budget cuts it a WHOLE BUNCH more. The Center on Budget estimates the combined cuts to Medicaid will be as high as $1.3 trillion over the next decade.
- How much the average 20- to 29-year-old borrower working in public service with a bachelor’s degree would pay in extra dollars each month on their student loans, per state, due to Trump Budget cuts.
- Trump’s budget cuts the Highway Trust Fund by nearly $100 billion. In 2027, that’s 250,000 lost jobs.
- Trump Budget’s long lecture for disabled.
OTHER THINGS MENTIONED ON THE SHOW
- There is an alternative! We can fund things that matter to us! Check out the Congressional Progressive Caucus’s People’s Budget.
- Most Americans Lack Reserve Cash to Cover $500 Emergency
#AHCA guts #Medicaid, uses the money to cut taxes by $2.8 billion for the richest 400 Americans, per the Center on Budget:
- WTF happened in Montana?
- The latest in the Deathcare bill, which just got a score from the Congressional Budget Office, showing under it, 51 million people under 65 will be uninsured by 2026.
This episode, we dive in to the Wells Fargo scandal, break down what happened and who’s to blame for the over 2 million scam accounts that Wells Fargo created for customers who never asked for them (and was then charged fees for those fake accounts). And during that segment, we’re going to tell you who Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren believes really needs to quit his job.
After that, we’re going to take a brave look at the election. What is at stake? What are we thinking about? What do things like Deep State have to do with all of it? And why is Donald Trump especially dangerous if he DOESN’T want to govern?
And finally, we ask listeners what we need to do in order to battle the white nationalism that Donald Trump has emboldened — whether or not he wins. Send us your thoughts! info at humorlessqueers dot com.