The ACLU gets us a little closer to shining light on black box algorithms, with some progress on a court challenge to the Computer Fraud Abuse Act. ICE puts out a horrific Digital Muslim Ban. Trump tries to murder the Census. Foreign governments are using stringrays to spy in D.C., and no one seems to be doing anything about it. Israel fires on peaceful protestors during the March of Return. And we revisit Gina Haspell, who remains a terrifying choice to run the CIA.
If you want to support the show, you can do so on Patreon for as little as $1 a month. You’ll get access to bonus content each month and help us keep the show going!
We talk with Chase Strangio, staff attorney at the ACLU, about their lawsuit against Trump on behalf of six members of the armed forces who are transgender. The lawsuit argues that “the new ban violates the constitutional guarantees of equal protection and substantive due process by singling out transgender individuals for unequal and discriminatory treatment based on uninformed speculation, myths and stereotypes, moral disapproval, and a bare desire to harm this already vulnerable group.”
We also discuss Trump ending DACA, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals. And talk with Chase about his tweetstorm about people defend those who have DACA (and other groups) as being “not criminals.”
MENTIONED ON THE SHOW
- Help Fund DACA Application Fees for Recipients in Need
- The ACLU sues Trump over the trans ban. (Read the lawsuit and get more details!)
Follow these organizations on Twitter:
- United We Dream (@UnitedWeDream)
- Mijente (@ConMiJente)
- Cosecha will be holding mass calls every night this week at 9pm. Join them at: http://bit.ly/dacamasscalls
- Southerners on New Ground (SONG) – @ignitekindred
Sources for audio clips from 9/5 protests:
- Denver student walkout
- “Move Trump, Get Out the Way” in Washington, DC
- While blocking traffic in front of Trump Tower in NYC, 9 DACA recipients and 2 allies chanted “Sin DACA, sin miedo” (“without DACA, without fear”)