Activists in Durham pulled down the Confederate Soldiers Monument. A woman of color named Takiyah Thompson who climbed the statute and attached a strap to it was arrested — PLEASE DONATE TO THE BOND FUND HERE. And donate to Takiyah’s solidarity fund HERE.
Eugene Puryear, author of “Shackled and Chained,” joins us as guest host to discuss Charlottesville, confederate memorials, Trump’s presser, how we should never lose our sense of outrage, and ongoing acts of resistance, and how to support it. Eugene also discusses how Charlottesville has been another wake up call to a lot of white America about the nature of the struggle of Black America, and how difficult the denial of America’s history makes addressing other problems.
- Sign the petition to demand that Durham County end its campaign of repression against community activists >>> https://southernvision.ourpowerbase.net/civicrm/petition/sign?sid=22
- Please call Durham DA’s office: drop all charges against Takiyah Thompson, Dante Emmanuel Strobino & Ngoc Loan Tran. 919-808-3010
- More ways to help
MENTIONED ON THE SHOW
- THANK YOU to the groups that were on the front lines: @CvilleBLM @DemSocialists #ISO @_IWW
- Torch bearing white supremacists surrounded a black church Friday night (Think Progress) and armed white supremacists were outside a synagogue (ReformJudaism.org)
- VICE News documentary on the Charlottesville rally (full disclosure: produced by Alexis’s AMAZING cousin Josh Davis).
- Minutes before the car murder, there was a wonderful celebration (and this is a video of it)
- “Confederate memorials were erected, intentionally and explicitly, as part of the Jim Crow political project.” — @jacremes
- The U.S. Capitol has at least three times as many statues of Confederate figures as it does of black people: The Washington Post
- FBI and DHS Warned of Growing Threat From White Supremacists Months Ago
- The Supreme Court Finds North Carolina’s Racial Gerrymandering Unconstitutional
ACTS OF RESISTANCE
- Unite the Right organizer — Jason Kessler — chased off his press conference.
- Baltimore just last night took down ALL of its confederate statutes
- In DC, there was a massive rally and march to the only confederate statute in the district to demand its removal.
- Activists in Durham pulled down he Confederate Soldiers Monument. A woman of color named Takiyah Thompson who climbed the statute and attached a strap to it was arrested — PLEASE DONATE TO THE BOND FUND HERE.
- Support the National Lawyers Guild