Alexis speaks with ACLU staff attorney Chase Strangio about the flurry of news happening around the insanely bigoted anti-trans bill in North Carolina, #HB2. From North Carolina suing the Feds, to the Feds suing North Carolina, we catch you up on what’s going on. We also discuss how much more the Department of Justice needs to do to truly protect trans people, including their ongoing refusal to allow Chelsea Manning to grow her hair long. We also discuss the Departments of Justice and Education issuing guidance to schools on how to ensure the civil rights of students at federally funded educational institutions .
Further Reading / Mentioned on the Show:
- The ACLU’s lawsuit against North Carolina over HB2
- The DOJ and Dept of ED’s Guidance to Help Schools Ensure the Civil Rights of Transgender Students
- Chase Strangio’s oped, Don’t Forget, Trans People Are Loved
- Chase Strangio’s ACLU page where folks can find updates on Chelsea’s case and HB2 litigation
How to Help
Here are organizations doing work in North Carolina that folks can donate to or support in other ways:
- SONG – http://southernersonnewground.org/
- Queer People of Color Collective
- Equality North Carolina – http://equalitync.org/
- ACLU of North Carolina – http://www.acluofnorthcarolina.org/
- National Center for Trans Equality also has a North Carolina action center: http://www.transequality.org/ncaction
- To donate to Chelsea Manning: https://www.chelseamanning.org/
Credit Where Due
The theme for this show is the song “Missing You” by Jahzzar, also know as Javier Suarez. You can find his work at betterwithmusic.com. And the font for our logo is by the graphic designer Marisa Passos.